Sophia L. Thomas DNP, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Breastfeeding is an amazing human phenomenon, but it has its challenges. As a nurse practitioner, I’ve fielded hundreds of questions from moms who want the real scoop. Here are six practical facts that I share with parents who are deciding whether breastfeeding is right for their family:
- It’s less expensive and more accessible. You don’t ever have to worry about forgetting food.
- It’s your baby’s secret recipe. Breastmilk has just the right amount of protein, fats, vitamins and carbohydrates for your baby.
- It’s healing. Breastmilk has antibodies that fight infection, and when you or your baby is sick, you make more than usual.
- It’s a living substance. Breastmilk contains live cells, including stem cells, which grow to become brain, heart, kidney and bone tissue.
- It’s a built-in workout. Breastfeeding burns an extra 500 – 600 calories a day.
- It’s healthier for mom. Women who breastfeed have a lower risk of developing cancer, heart disease, diabetes and depression.
Breastfeeding isn’t for everyone, but for many, the pros far outweigh the cons. Talk to your provider if you have questions or concerns!