By April N. Kapu, DNP, APRN, ACNP- BC, FAANP, FCCM, FAAN
December is National Safe Toys and Gifts Month. To celebrate, we’ve compiled a quick list of dos and don’ts for safe gifting this holiday season!
Choose toys and gifts that DO:
- Contain non-toxic ingredients.
- Use flame-retardant materials for clothing and stuffed animals.
- Have safe age recommendations to follow.
- Meet the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s toy safety guidelines.
- Have secure batteries.
Choose toys and gifts that DON’T:
- Have sharp edges or pointy tips.
- Contain lead paint.
- Break easily.
- Have pull strings longer than seven inches.
- Include small parts.
Picking the right gift can be a challenge — especially gifts for a child — because there are so many options on the market. Follow these recommendations to ensure the gift you bring to the next holiday gathering is safe and fun!