June 9, 2020
Six Ways to Keep Your Family Active During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Stay-at-home orders and the closing of gyms, schools and recreation centers have made it harder than ever to get the daily exercise every American needs. Even during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are daily activities you can do to stay active.
- Take daily walks. Even a 30-minute walk around your neighborhood can help increase cardiovascular fitness, burn excess body fat and reduce your risk of developing conditions like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Spend time at the park. As parks start to open up again, they can be a fun way to get your family out of the house while still managing social distancing measures.
- Take weekend hikes. Depending on where you live, a hike might provide more of a challenge than a daily walk and take longer to finish. Hiking is a perfect weekend activity to increase your family’s fitness while still following COVID-19 regulations set in place by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Do home workouts. Many companies are offering home workouts for free right now, or you could follow along with a YouTube video. Any exercise is better than no exercise.
- Make use of what you have. Most household items can be used to help integrate fitness into your life. Do squats while carrying the laundry basket, run up the stairs or do tricep dips on the couch.
Turn chore time into playtime. Count points for the number of toys that make it into the basket, turn on some music and dance around while you and your family clean. This can increase exercise and add some fun to your day!