March 19, 2020
Not Enough Sleep Last Night? Six Tips to Feel More Energized Today.
Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
On any given day, one in three adults are sleep-deprived. We talk a lot about why sleep is important, but rarely do we address what to do if you don’t get enough of it. If you’re dwelling on the sleep you missed out on last night, do these six things:
- Hydrate. Drinking water can improve blood pressure and blood flow to the brain, making you feel more energized and less irritable.
- Eat breakfast. Eating first thing jump-starts your metabolism and provides an energy boost.
- Stand up straight. Poor posture puts excess strain on your back and hips, which can make you feel tired and achy.
- Avoid junk food. Sugary, processed foods cause blood sugar to spike and then fall, zapping motivation.
- Go easy on the caffeine. A cup or two of coffee can help you feel more alert, but too much can make you feel anxious and irritable.
- Get the blood flowing. Exercise stimulates energy production to make you feel more awake.
Don’t let your lack of sleep last night ruin your day today. Try these fatigue-busting tips to feel more energized and less irritable, even when you’re tired.