July 17, 2020
Keeping Your Children Entertained During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Are your kids driving you crazy? Are they bouncing off the walls looking for the next fun thing to do? Your children are little bundles of energy that need constant entertainment. The COVID-19 pandemic has made it difficult for them to participate in activities that they enjoy, such as summer camps and sports. If you want to plan a few fun activities for your children, here are some things you can enjoy doing together.
- Create your own camp experience. Throw up a tent in your backyard or make a fort in your house and enjoy some of the fun activities camping offers, such as storytelling, cooking and crafts.
- Play games in your backyard. Enjoy a quick game of kick the can or capture the flag.
- Participate in virtual day camps. Sign up for one of the many virtual day camps now offered due to COVID-19.
- Play in the water. Go to the pool or beach in a socially safe way, or set up an inflatable pool or slip n’ slide for backyard fun.
- Play games. Teach your kids your favorite card or board games for hours of endless fun.
- Watch TV or movies. Find a new TV show or movies that the whole family can enjoy.
- Train their brains. See if there are any educational programs online or offered by your school district.
- Enjoy the outdoors. Take your kids for a nice walk in the park or around the neighborhood to release some energy. Make sure to practice social distancing while out of the house.
- Read. Introduce a new book to your children. Let them read it alone or read it aloud with the whole family.